Gutman Library is committed to providing library services to Harvard Teacher Fellows, HGSE doctoral students, and faculty working at a distance. We provide access to the library's circulation, document delivery, and research services.
Ask Us! -- Gutman research librarians are available to provide answers to a wide range of quick reference questions or to work with you at a distance throughout the capstone or dissertation process.
Borrow Direct Plus -- If you live near a Borrow Direct Plus library, you have access to on-site borrowing.
Distance Book Delivery -- available to current HGSE
- Harvard Teacher Fellows in their teaching residency.
- EdD and PhD students (Year 3+) living more than 50 miles from Cambridge.
- EdLD students in their residency year.
- faculty on leave.
Request a Book from the Harvard libraries:
Books that include a "Request Item" link in HOLLIS+ are eligible for distance book delivery. To request book delivery:
1. Search for books in HOLLIS+
2. In the Locations & Availability tab, click Request Item.
3. Important! Select Gutman Education as the pick-up location. (Books sent to other libraries cannot be mailed via Distance Delivery.)
4. When you receive an "Available for Pick-Up Notice" via email, submit a Distance Book Delivery Request to have books mailed to you.
5. You will get an email when the books you've requested have been shipped. (Note: Gutman Library will pay shipping and return costs for up to 10 books per semester via 2-day FedEx. For any additional books sent, you will be billed for FedEx shipping and return charges.)
How are materials sent to me?
Books are sent to domestic addresses via FedEx 2-day delivery. Contact us for information about international shipping. (Note: FedEx will not deliver to P.O. box addresses.)
How do I return books borrowed?
All books borrowed must be returned by the due date via FedEx 2nd day delivery to Distance Services, Monroe C. Gutman Library, 6 Appian Way, Cambridge, MA 02138 A FedEx label will be provided.
What if I lose or damage a Distance Delivery book?
You will be billed for lost or damaged books through your term bill.