Answered By: Rebecca Martin Last Updated: Aug 26, 2020 Views: 6
Gutman Library reviews purchase requests using some of the following criteria.
Does the requested material’s subject matter align with Gutman Library’s core collecting areas?
- Gutman's collections represent and support the evolving research, teaching, and learning needs of the HGSE community.
- Primary focuses align with current curriculum and faculty research areas, including, but not limited to, educational administration and policy, teachers and teaching, technology in education, international education, educational equity, educational psychology, human development, language acquisition, children’s literature, and the history of education.
- If the subject matter of your request aligns better with another library at Harvard University, Gutman Library may forward your suggestion to another campus library or suggest you submit a request to borrow the material from another institution.
Format, Ownership and Access
Does the publisher offer a digital format that adheres to accessibility standards, is available for an unlimited number of users to access at once, and is available long-term?
- While many publishers offer e-book purchase options for individual users, purchase options provided to libraries and universities differ from purchase options offered to individual users via Amazon Kindle or direct from publisher website. So while you may see an e-book purchase option on a publisher's website that does not necessarily indicate availability of an e-book purchase option for libraries.
- While many publishers offer 1-user or 3-user e-book purchase options, Gutman Library prioritizes unlimited user e-books whenever possible to support equitable access to digital content.
- Whenever possible, Gutman Library fulfills purchase requests in digital format, but weighs several considerations related to perpetual ownership vs. leased/licensed access, accessibility standards, how many users can access a digital resource at once, and other considerations included in the Harvard Library Standard License Agreement.
Community, Shared Use
Is the request meant to support personal use?
- Gutman Library does not currently support purchase of material for personal use.
- Gutman Library will purchase materials for the library collection and that can be made available to the entire HGSE community.
- Ask Us if you have questions about requests for materials that would support your personal research or project.
Gutman librarians are available online to answer your questions Monday - Friday, 8am - 6pm EST.
Email: Use our Ask Us form
Need more in-depth research help? Make a virtual appointment to work with a research librarian.
To schedule a time, use the Gutman Library Research Appointment tool.